Where Do I Place my Electrodes?
Use this TENS unit placement chart as a handy reference to guide you when placing your TENS or EMS electrodes on your body during pain relief treatments. If you consult with a medical professional about using your TENS unit, they will likely be able to assist you further in determining the best place to put your electrodes for your specific pain symptoms. Placing the electrodes in the proper area is the first step to achieving the most benefit from your TENS or EMS unit.
It is also highly recommended you read our documentation for those who should not use a TENS and EMS unit.
Electrode Skin Care
- Wash the area of skin where you will be placing the electrodes, using mild soap and water before applying electrodes, and after taking them off. Be sure to rinse soap off thoroughly and dry skin well.
- Excess hair may be clipped with scissors; do not shave the stimulation area.
- Wipe the area with the skin preparation your clinician has recommended. Let this dry. Apply electrodes as directed.
- Many skin problems arise from the “pulling stress” from adhesive patches that are excessively stretched across the skin during application. To prevent this, apply electrodes from center outward; avoid stretching over the skin.
- To minimize “pulling stress”, tape extra lengths of lead wires to the skin in a loop to prevent tugging on electrodes.
- When removing electrodes, always remove by pulling in the direction of hair growth.
- It may be helpful to rub skin lotion on electrode placement area when not wearing electrodes.
- Never apply electrodes over irritated or broken skin.
Application of Re-usable Self Adhesive Electrodes
- Clean and dry the skin at the prescribed area thoroughly with soap and water prior to application of electrodes.
- Insert the lead wire into the pin connector in the pre-wired electrodes.
- Remove the electrodes from the protective liner and apply the electrodes firmly to the treatment site.
- Lift at the edge of electrodes and peel; do not pull on the lead wires because it may damage the electrodes.
- Place the electrodes on the liner and remove the lead wire by twisting and pulling at the same time.
Care and Storage
- Between uses, store the electrodes in the resealed bag in a cool dry place.
- It may be helpful to improve the repeated application by spreading a few drops of cold water over the adhesive and turn the surface up to air dry. Over Saturation with water will reduce the adhesive properties.
- Do not apply to broken skin.
- The electrodes should be discarded when they are no longer adhering.
- The electrodes are intended for single patient use only.
- If irritation occurs, discontinue use and consult your physician.
- Read the instruction for use of self-adhesive electrodes before application.